King’s Lynn – 125th Anniversary Year for the Pontifical Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham 1897 – 1934
The Holy House in the Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation, King’s Lynn.
Our Lady of Walsingham’s Shrine was first re-established by Rescript of Pope Leo XIII on February 6th 1897 in Our Lady of the Annunciation Parish Church in King’s Lynn,
which to this day has the honoured title of Pontifical Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham.
The Shrine centres around a beautiful replica of the Holy House.
A series of 125th Anniversary Events are taking place:
Sunday 10th July from 2.30 – 4pm the Parish Garden Party to be held in the gardens behind Our Lady’s Church on London Road. It will feature the King’s Lynn Town Band.
Sunday 14th August at 3pm: Solemnity of the Assumption of Our Lady, the annual Red Mount Procession. Our Lady’s Statue from the Pontifical Shrine is taken in procession to the Red Mount Chapel and then returned to the church for Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament and Tea. The beautiful Red Mount Chapel was one of the stop of points for pilgrims of ancient times as they made pilgrimage to Walsingham.
Friday 19th August at 7pm there is a Mass to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the Restoration of Our Lady’s Shrine with Mgr John Armitage, Master of the Guild of Our Lady of Ransom, as the preacher.
Saturday 20th August, in Walsingham itself, there will be a recreation of the First Pilgrimage of Modern Times with a procession from Walsingham Railway Station to the Slipper Chapel with a commemorative Mass at 12 noon.
The Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation