The Roman Catholic National Shrine, Walsingham
A Brief History
Richeldis de Faverches and the Holy House
The Shrine of Our Lady at Walsingham was established in 1061 when, according to the text of the Pynson Ballad (c 1485), Richeldis de Faverches prayed that she might undertake some special work in honour of Our Lady. In answer to her prayer, the Virgin Mary led her in spirit to Nazareth, showed her the house where the Annunciation occurred, and asked her to build a replica in Walsingham to serve as a perpetual memorial of the Annunciation.
This Holy House was built and a religious community took charge of the foundation. Although we have very little historical material from this period, we know that with papal approval the Augustinian Canons built a Priory (c 1150). Walsingham became one of the greatest Shrines in Medieval Christendom.
After the Reformation
In 1538, the Reformation caused the Priory property to be handed over to the King’s Commissioners and the famous statue of Our Lady of Walsingham was taken to London and burnt. Nothing remains today of the original shrine, but its site is marked on the lawn in “The Abbey Grounds” in the village.
After the destruction of the Shrine, Walsingham ceased to be a place of pilgrimage. Devotion was necessarily in secret until after Catholic Emancipation (1829) when public expressions of faith were allowed.
The Chapel is restored
In 1896 Charlotte Pearson Boyd purchased the 14th century Slipper Chapel, the last of the wayside chapels en-route to Walsingham, and restored it for Catholic use.
In 1897 by rescript of Pope Leo XIII, the sanctuary of Our Lady of Walsingham was restored with the building of a Holy House as the Lady Chapel of the Catholic Church of the Annunciation, King’s Lynn.
Pilgrimages begin again in 1897
The Guild of Our Lady of Ransom, brought the first public pilgrimage to Walsingham on 20th August 1897. Visits to the Slipper Chapel became more frequent, and as the years passed devotion and the number of pilgrimages increased.
The National Shrine of Our Lady for Roman Catholics in England
On 19th August 1934, Cardinal Bourne and Bishop Lawrence Youens led the Bishops of England and Wales, together with 10,000 pilgrims to the Slipper Chapel. At this pilgrimage, the Slipper Chapel was declared to be the National Shrine of Our Lady for Roman Catholics in England.
During the war years
Walsingham was a restricted zone and closed to visitors, but many service men and women showed interest in the Shrine. On May 17th 1945, the American Forces organised the first Mass in the Priory grounds since the Reformation.
The First Student Cross pilgrimage
This and the great Cross Carrying Pilgrimage for Peace, Penance and Prayer in 1948 began traditions that continue today. Each year Student Cross still walk to the Shrine during Holy Week.
Since 1968, the Marist Fathers have had the care of the shrine and, with the Marist Sisters and others, are responsible for the ministry to pilgrims.
The Slipper Chapel Statue goes to Wembley
During the Visit of Pope John Paul II to England in 1982, the Slipper Chapel Statue was taken to Wembley Stadium and was carried around the stadium prior to the Papal Mass preceeded by The Director of the Roman Catholic Shrine (Fr Clive Birch sm) and the Administrator of the Anglican Shrine (Rev Christopher Colven).
The Pope then insisted that the Statue be placed on the altar for the Mass.
More modern developments
The Shop, café and offices at the Shrine were developed in 1988 and a font was installed in the cloister area. Later developments have improved the facilities for the Mass intentions office in the cloister behind the Font.
The Annunciation Window
In 1997 there were celebrations to mark the centenary of the first post-reformation pilgrimage which took place on 20th August 1897. One of the lasting legacies of the centenary celebrations is the Annunciation Window in the Slipper Chapel which was a gift of the Guild of Our Lady of Ransom, whose forebears had organised the 1897 pilgrimage.
The Shrine now attracts some 100,000 pilgrims during the pilgrimage season with about 30 Major Pilgrimages from Catholic, Diocesan or Ethnic groups and Catholic Societies or Associations as well as many parish groups. At present our largest Pilgrimage is that of the Tamil community each July which attracts about 6,000 pilgrims, notable for half of them being Christian and half Hindu.
The RC Parish Church of the Annunciation
In April 2005 the local RC Parish Church of the Annunciation (a 1950’s temporary structure) in Walsingham village was demolished, and a beautiful new Church with twice the capacity now stands on the site. Because of its use by pilgrims resident at Elmham House, the Roman Catholic accommodation, the Shrine was instrumental in raising a great deal of the £1,345,000 needed for this project.